Thursday, January 5, 2012

Interview

Interviewer - Good morning.  I appreciate you taking time to come out here.  Are you ready to get started?
Hongwu - Yes, I'm ready.


Interviewer - Being the first emperor of a new dynasty must have been difficult.  What were some of your concerns or worries about having so much power?
Hongwu - There is always pressure being the first of anything.  My main concern was that my methods or laws would fail my county.  I wanted to make sure that everything I did while I was emperor would make people happy as well benefit my country. Also I was worried that people would start loosing respect for me later on in my life.  After I considered this I made new laws saying that anyone who was against me would be severely punished.  Anyone who did not support me was arrested and brought to jail.


Interviewer - That's very interesting Emperor Hongwu.  Now, the Great Wall is apart of your land.  What are some of the wall's purposes? How has it help you and your people?
Hongwu - Oh yes, the Great Wall.  It has helped me and my people a great deal.  The wall is located in the north.  Near where the Mongols are settled.   The wall helps our people know where the boarders are as well as the Mongols.  The Mongols and my country are forever in war.  The Great Wall also helps keep the Mongols away from my people.


Interviewer - Now, you mentioned war.  Can you explain the government officials different roles?
Hongwu - There are three ministries; the Chancellery, the Bureau of Military Affairs, and the Censorate.  Each person in these branches have different symbols to indicate their rank in the government.  Each rank has images of animals or birds.  Civil officials wore birds and military officials wore animals.  Each one of the badges has a color also and the officials have colored silk hats to match the badges.  We also have each village choose who will decide punishments and enforce laws.  That way we will have more people protecting our land.


Interviewer - It seams like you have your government under control.  What are some of your hopes twards your dynasty once your are gone?
Hongwu - Mainly my hope is to have my people happy.  Also that the government stays under control and nothing falls apart right away.  I also hope that future emperors continue to grow and innovate the ways of our culture today.

No comments:

Post a Comment